Your First Visit
- Welcome to The Arthritis Rheum! -
BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT
What to bring:
1. Medicare card, DVA gold card and any private health insurance information
2. Referral letter
- We prefer referrals forwarded before your appointment by fax or email. If you can’t then please bring a hard copy to your appointment. A valid referral letter is required for you to obtain a Medicare rebate to partially cover the cost of your appointment.
- Without a referral you will be out of pocket for the whole fee without any Medicare rebate.
- Bring a list of your medications or actual bottles/patches/inhalers as this is incredibly helpful and saves you having to remember everything.
- Don’t forget medications you only use sometimes or over the counter and naturopathic treatments.
4. Test results
- Bring any relevant blood tests, imaging reports and scans
5. Friend or family member
- It can be useful to bring a support person to help take notes and listen during the consultation as we are likely to discuss a number of topics related to the diagnosis and treatment plan and details can be easy to forget after the consultation.
What to wear:
- Please wear loose comfortable clothing
- Short sleeved shirt and shorts are preferable weather permitting.
- You may be asked to undress to your underwear to ensure adequate exposure to affected areas and allow for a proper physical examination.
Our Emerald Hills practice is located within the medical centre at the Emerald Hills Estate Shopping Centre. Our Hurstville practice is located within Waratah Private Hospital. Please see instructions for driving and public transport here.
AT YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Please aim to arrive at least ten minutes early to your appointment.
- At Emerald Hills Medical Centre – head through to the back where our staff will be ready to check you in.
- At Hurstville – enter Suite 203 just next to the lifts and our staff will be waiting to check youin.
- Your first consultation can take 30-60 minutes depending on the nature and complexity of your problem/s.
- Fees are payable by credit or debit card at the time of your appointment.
- We do not accept cash or cheques. Please see our fees policy here.
AFTER YOUR APPOINTMENT
1. Be sure to write down as much as you can immediately after your appointment to help with recollection afterwards.
2. You might think of questions after leaving the specialist – please write them all down and bring them to your next consultation and we will be happy to work through them with you. Alternatively you may be able to discuss with your general practitioner in the meantime.
3. Please take care of your forms and prescriptions provided to you during the consultation.